Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Mystery, Nearly Solved...



Almost one year ago I found this lovely cut-paper art at a local estate sale. I was not familiar with cut-paper art other than having the general understanding that it was quite popular during the Victorian era. Otherwise, clueless.

This cut-paper art had been overlooked and left, as I was one of the last visitors of the day.  The following features are what stopped me and said, "buy that".
First, it was obviously hand cut and the frame appeared old, but not the glass (probably replacement). Second, the portrait is of Euripides (titled, Euripides), the fabled greek tragedian.  So, it was very likely done by a classicist. I only noticed after my purchase that there was a date written, ever so lightly in pencil, to the immediate left of the initials CRBK, 1860.


Some time has passed and from time to time of the past year I have set out to find the mystery artist through various library and online resources. I've had several false leads and even contacted a kind lady at a University that I won't name. She was very patient with me in my ignorance and ultimately set me back on the right path.

One day, quite by chance, I came upon the name 'Charles Rann Kennedy'. I believe that I was doing research for some other antique that I found. This reminded me of the initials so I set out to learn a bit about Mr. Kennedy in hopes that he may have had a fondness for doing a bit of cut-art in his spare time.

When I read that Mr. Charles Rann Kennedy was not only a classicists (and a noted lawyer) but he also translated plays of Euripides, such as Demosthenes, for example. Bingo! I think that he might have been a "fan". What do you think? Is "fan" the wrong word? ...

As far as the signature is concerned, it fits. I was unable to find an example of Mr. Kennedy's signature but so far as the initials are concerned. The first 'C', would obviously represent, Charles.
The 'R',  would represent Rann. The extra 'B' threw me at first but then I remembered that Benjamin had been an important family name and this might have been used for various reasons. The paper cut would have been done, certainly, towards the end of Mr. Kennedy's life.

Because I am not an expert in this field. I must point out that this all boils down to conjecture at this point. I believe that Mr. Kennedy did create this lovely work of art but until I have further proof, I cannot say for certain. It's certainly interesting.

I hope that there might be someone out there reading this who may be able to shed further light through information. Please, please do not hesitate to comment with your opinion, your own conjecture, or educated opinion.























Victorian, Hollow-cut silhouette, entitled "Euripides". Hand written, Dated, '1860'.  "Cut by CRBK"