Sunday, June 14, 2015

Memento Mori Embroidery Project: Materials

A selection of beautiful silk threads from Dinky Dyes. http://dinkydyes.com

The last few weeks have been incredibly busy as my daughter's first grade year wrapped up. School assembly(s), birthday parties, teacher gifts, various gatherings and celebrations, you name it. Good old Bernadette has been burning the candle at both ends, in a very responsible and boring kind of way.

I have had an hour or so, most evenings, to work on the Memento Mori memorial project for my sister, Jane Elizabeth.
This hour or so of embroidery each evening is a saving grace for me. I can't even describe how much I enjoy it. It's unreal. 

I discovered hand embroidery as a child but I never had the focus to get serious with it. I had pretty serious focus problems (ADD). As an adult, I have learned to work through these issues somewhat (with some CBT help). I re-discovered hand embroidery about one and a half (or so) years ago and it was love-at-first-stitch! Immediate passion. I have created many projects since then, some good, many not so good. It's all learning.

So back to the point of the post, which was materials. This project was my first that was done entirely with silk threads. I used a combination of threads and have made mistakes along the way. There are a few areas where I must return and re-work. These areas are driving me mad.

One of the things that I learned as an untrained, self-taught embroiderer. These threads need to be steamed ever so lightly if they are wrinkly. It brings a much better result. Second, it's okay to use a mixture of different types of threads, go with your gut. It's your creation. I should also mention that for this project, I used a vintage high-count linen that was left over from a vintage kit that I purchased some time ago.

I used threads from Dinky Dyes, Gloriana http://www.glorianathreads.com, Caron http://www.caron-net.com/threads.html, and last but not least Au Ver a Soie http://www.silk-thread.com/our-silk-threads. All of these threads were wonderful in their own right. Here is a photo of some of the threads that I have used. The threads seen in the photo below are from France and were some of the easiest and most beautiful to work with. I want more!! The picture below is of Au Ver a Soie.  Which silk do you prefer to work with? Have you tried silk embroidery? Any tips to share?